How and when to conduct risk assessment and risk management?
Risk management is a powerful approach to ensure that products are not dangerous for the presumed consumers under the reasonably foreseeable conditions of use. It is the responsibility of manufacturers to take account of these conditions and take adequate measures to ensure product safety. All serious risks must be avoided and identified risks mitigated through adequate risk management, which applies to both existing and novel products.
Advocating a risk-based approach to EU legal requirements to ensure that risks associated with dangerous consumer products are mitigated from the onset.
Through attending this module, participants will acquire the practical skills to minimise product safety risks through systematic risk management measures:
- Understanding how and when to conduct a risk assessment of products, and that taking early steps is essential.
- Specific approaches to risk management in the EU and its member States.
- Learn to set up a risk management process in relation to the products of concern.
- Identify the most common risks (e.g. mechanical, chemical, electrical etc.) that could be related to a specific product.
- Apply the findings to products and safety issues and taking risk prevention measures.
Tags, sub-topics, combination with other modules
Approaches to risk assessment and risk management, with a special focus on the European market. Most common failing products in EU market. Understanding the reasons. Risk reduction. Use of information and warnings.
- This module can be used stand-alone or in combination with other modules related to preventing unsafe products in general and/or sector specific.